Thursday, March 10, 2005

The South Part 2

So again I'm avoiding doing a reading assignment for school, oh well. In response to my last post, a girl I don't know named Ashley wrote:
Is Virginia really the South? I live in Tennessee but was thankfully born a
Yankee and no one I know really calls Virginia the south. Now WEST Virginia,
they have just enough hick accent to throw them into the "backwoods" category of
America.

I think we should distinguish between three definitions or uses of the word "south". The first is the use of the word south to describe the southern states that broke away from the Union during the Civil War. In this respected Virginia is to be considered south. Now, the other two uses of the word south come from its two connotations. The first connotation is the "respectable south" I guess you would call it. It's the polite, respectable, well mannered way southern people seem to be. The second connotation is the hick, uneducated, backwoods, married his cousin and only drinks moonshine. I don't, however, think either one of these fully defines true southerners. I think people often mistake the backwoods accent and slowness which with southerners take life as a sign of poor education. In reality, the south is just a different culture is all.

So how do I fit into all of this? Well, I don't have an accent, and I've never really lived in the south for any considerable length of time. I was almost to young to remember most of my time spent in Virginia. Furthermore the ten years spent in Florida really doesn't count either. Just to clarify, FLORIDA IS NOT THE SOUTH! Florida is place for old people to retire to and wreak havoc on the roads. It would be better classified with another state like California or something. However, I can claim lineage and upbringing. My mom is a Georgian, accent and all. Although the accent has faded over the years. Since my dad was in the navy, while he was out to sea for anywhere from 2 to 6 months, my mom was left alone to raise me and my sister. We were definitely raised southern. We were taught proper courtesies, to be respectful, to love fried chicken, to only drink tea that pours out like syrup, and to hate General Sherman.

If I were you I would count myself lucky to be living in a place like Tennessee. My grandpa owns a cabin near Coker Creek and I always enjoy when we get to go down and see him there. In fact, I think that if I ever had the chance to move down south, Tennessee would rank number one on my list of places I'd like to live.

Ok, now to actually get something done today... maybe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home